Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Zombies ???

Okay, now to be honest I don't understand the hype about zombies. But I want too.

I love my mons
ters: werewolves, vampires, psychopaths and ghouls. However, I feel that something separates my beloved monsters from the zombies. Connection.

I like to know my monsters, call them by name. Name a zombie? I can't, and I know I have prejudice, but I can't connect with a zombie.

I want to know the zombies plight.

I constantly empathize with my monsters. I know their history and what caused them to reach this point. Be they innocent unsuspecting victims of werewolves or vampires who become part beast or join the undead; there is still a story there. We continue to follow their personal journey. They matter.

For example: "Well, I like you, You're nice and you're funny. And you don't smoke, Yeah, OK, werewolf. That's not all the time. I mean three days out of the month I'm not much fun to be around either." (Willow after finding out about Oz's condition. And a very great point, lunar schedules and menstrual periods have long been linked...)

Or Frankenstein's monster who is really created out of the peoples problems and represent our own personal demons. That is what I can understand. Hell, you can even identify with the likes of Jason a boy who was overlooked and now kills teens who have sex — and they say horror movies don't have morals. ;)

When I watch a zombie movie the zombies are not the point. It's Alice or Columbus who is trying to survive.

I don't care about Alice or Columbus I want to know the zombie. I don't want to see the kill of the week (okay i did enjoy the movie, but that's not the point).

I want to know my monster. I want to know his wants, needs and qualms. How did he get turned? How does he feel about it?

I'm not trying to hate on the zombie, I just want to get to know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment